Working from a Strength Based Approach...
Historically the child welfare system, including residential programs, has focused on a child’s deficits. This system only serves to reinforce a perspective which focuses on the negative aspects. The goal of a strength based system is to focus on progress, successes and gains.
More specifically the objectives of our work with children/youth is to help them reach their potential by:
- Assisting to identify their personal strengths
- Focusing on progress and gains made, no matter how small or significant
- Celebrating successes
- Avoiding setting children/youth up for defeat ( i.e. unrealistic goals)
- Looking for exceptions (when does this work well and why?)
- Offering encouragement and praise
- Re-framing events to help kids see the positive